On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:04 AM <jonmcalexan...@wellsfargo.com.invalid> wrote:
> I, in my opinion, find it far easier to set my BASE in the setenv.sh for the
> instance I'm using. As Chris said, you can have multiple instances (BASEs) on
> a server.

Jon,

If you mean you're setting $CATALINA_BASE in setenv.sh, I don't think
that will work because when you run $CATALINA_BASE/bin/startup.sh,
$CATALINA_BASE won't be set yet and so it's going to set
$CATALINA_BASE to $CATALINA_HOME and then source the
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.sh and not the $CATALINA_BASE specific
setenv.sh. I think that's what Chris was referring to in his first
reply to you.

Although if I'm using a $CATALINA_BASE/bin/run.sh alternative to
startup.sh like in my previous post, I would probably just put ALL the
various environment variables (listed at the top of bin/catalina.sh)
in there too. Using setenv.sh at that point would just be needlessly
spreading config around.

The documentation currently seems to be targeting installations shared
by multiple different users where $CATALINA_HOME and $CATALINA_BASE
get set in the users environment such that different users can have
different bases but share a common installation like in /usr/local or
some such. Then you *would* want to put base specific stuff in
$CATALINA_BASE/bin/setenv.sh. But IMO that's kind of a late 90's way
of doing things. Nowadays, not only do people have their own machines,
but they have multiple instances in VMs and private servers and docker
and so on. So I think the self-contained $CATALINA_BASE/bin/run.sh
method is probably a little better for most cases (although I still
need to study the Windows service use-case which is probably
important).

Mike

--
Michael B Allen