Hi all,

thanks a lot to all for the quick replies. Not what I hoped to hear, but hey - every new detail I learn about this issue turns out to be the opposite of what I hope to hear.

Cheers,

Juri

On 12/13/21 4:17 PM, David Weisgerber wrote:
Hi,
our software was also affected but luckily not our Tomcat distribution.
I repeat, no JRE has a sufficient mitigation! You need to update log4j2 or set
the environment variables. The problem is that through log4j2 you can misuse
other library functions where the JRE mitigations would not protect you. I must
repeat, there was a website stating that the presence of tomcat alone would
open up another attack vector through log4j2.

Best regards,
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Juri Berlanda <juri.berla...@tuwien.ac.at>
Sent: Monday, 13 December 2021 16:03
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: CVE-2021-44228 Log4j 2 Vulnerability - Runtime vs compile time
Java version

Hi,

we were affected - we use an AccessLogValve, which logs to Log4j2 and we use
Log4j as java.util.logging LogManager. We already patched, but only on Saturday.

In any case: in a lot of places I saw "recent JRE versions have a mitigation in
place", but I can't seem to find which JRE version introduced which mitigation. Can
anybody here point me to where I can find that information? Googling for this only seems
to bring up everybody's security advisories, but nobody seems to bother to state exact
JRE versions.

Cheers,

Juri

Tim,