<snip/>

But I'm not sure how to get the "[Service]" name. I can cast HTtpServletRequest to o.a.c.connector.Request and from there I can get the o.a.coyote.Request but neither of those seem to have access to the engine, service, etc. I could make it a configurable setting of the Filter, with "Catalina" being the default. Is there any other way to get the service name from within a running Tomcat?

Via the servletcontext? You should be able to work up the contect -> Host -> Engine -> Service tree.

Mark