Hi Greg,

> You should not need to reload tomcat for code unless NetBeans cannot handle
> hot reload.

I don't believe that there is a problem with NetBeans, it updates the
active code files in the WEB_APP/classes perfectly, but then as
previously discussed in the other thread, there is no file locking
(not possible) and as soon as multiple files need recompiling (in my
case a listener and a class) we risk having an unstable deployment,
albeit for a fraction of a second. Tomcat detects the first file
change and that triggers the reload of the webapp. However, the
listener class (in my case) is still being created / updated and
causes Tomcat to crash (understandably so). Weirdly enough, I never
had an issue until I upgraded to Tomcat 10, but I suspect that was a
fluke of the project I was working on rather than the upgrade. I
mainly create Java Servlets (brilliant API by the way) and so am
installing many small individual class files.

>  I would stop and restart tomcat for method signature changes, new classes
> etc.  It's quick and stops reload issues.

You are right, Tomcat is ridiculously fast to Start / Stop (2 mouse
clicks for me, 5 seconds). In fact when I first installed Tomcat that
is how I operated until I discovered reloadable - and I fall into that
historic stereotypical old-school developer type labelled 'lazy', true
in my case. I could now halve the number of keystrokes (and shave 5
seconds off my deploy) so now it was F11 (recompile), F5 (browser
refresh). Of course, once you have been tempted by the serpent, it is
so hard to have your candy taken away from you hence me spending a
week attempting to install Tomcat and implement some protection for
this scenario :)

John