Jon,

If you want to secure the httpd <-> Tomcat link with mutually authenticated TLS then I believe it is possible based on reading the docs but a) haven't tested it and b) you are going to need to be careful to ensure Tomcat doesn't get confused about whether it is the actual client or the reverse proxy that is authenticated.

The following are some pointers that should help. This is how I would go about things if I was doing this.

1. Set up mod_proxy_http and get it working over http.

2. Create and configure a server certificate for Tomcat.

3. Switch to proxy over https.

4. Use SSLProxyCACertifcate[File|Path] to configure httpd to authenticate Tomcat.

5. Check you got 4 right by changing the Tomcat cert to a self-signed one and looking for the proxy connection to fail.

6. Create a client cert for httpd.

7. Configure Tomcat to require client cert authentication.

8. Configure httpd using SSLProxyMachineCertificate[File|Path] to provide the certificate.

9. Check you got 8 right by:
   a) using a JSP to view the presented certificate
   b) changing httpd to use a self-signed cert and check it fails

The problem you have now is that Tomcat sees httpd as a TLS authenticated client and you really want Tomcat to see the authentication status of the real client.

I've looked at the SSLValve and it only sets request attributes if the relevant headers from httpd are present. You would need to write an additional Valve that ran earlier in the pipeline and cleared those headers.

HTH,

Mark