John,

On 11/2/22 14:32, John Dale (DB2DOM) wrote:
On 11/2/22, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
John,

On 11/2/22 12:44, John Dale (DB2DOM) wrote:
I'd like to continue to invest in Raspberry Pi, but also try to put
together a functional 32bit build of my software for those poor old
neglected closeted towers (really, poor things!).

I should be able to do it, from the looks of this.

Are you guys doing any kind of pruned down version of Tomcat or maybe
a configurable Tomcat that will only include some bare bones stuff
like request parsing, connection pooling, and (obviously) threading?

You might be surprised to learn that Tomcat is pretty stripped-down
already. What do you imagine that Tomcat is doing that is beyond what
you have listed above?

Isn't there still a lot of J2E code allowing deployment and processing
of J2E standards that aren't necessarily needed?  What else?

Well, it supports a few things that you may not use in your application(s), such as WebSocket, asynchronous I/O, JSP/EL, and JASPIC. Maybe you don't use JSPs, so you can throw-out the JSP and EL components. But if you don't use them, they are a few inert kilobytes of data on the disk. Same with JASPIC. Removing them would be more work than simply ignoring them.

Tomcat 10.1 requires Java 11 because the specs it follows say that's the minimum required version, for whatever reason.

The official Tomcat binary releases will be built using Java 11 and thus they must be run by Java 11 or later.

But there's nothing stopping you from trying to use the source to build a Java-8-compatible build of Tomcat 10.1. I don't think we are using any source-level features of Java that actually require anything past Java 8. But if it vomits at runtime because something is missing because you actually /do/ need Java 11, then we're gonna tell you "don't do that."

-chris