James,

I have been running Tomcat on earlier versions of IBM i for years.  I'd have dig through my Common Presentations but it might go back a couple of decades.  I don't presume to know as much as you but my CL (probably similar to yours) generates two jobs each time I invoke the catalina.sh script:  1 job resides in PASE and the other is a JVM job.  Makes sense since catalina.sh invokes Tomcat running in a JVM and each time a Java program is invoked on IBM i, it gets its own JVM and job (as you most likely know).

Tomcat on IBM i has always worked for me so I haven't had to dig into deeper details like you have so I can't weigh in on the log issues except to say that catalina.out is always in EBCDIC.  The catalina.[date].log files and all the other log files generated by Tomcat are in ASCII (and there are a bunch of them).

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
GIAC Cloud Penetration Tester