OOzy Pal wrote:

> I found the JKD but I am not sure how start tomcat. I am really stuck.
> I am not sure what am I missing? Is there a good tutorial for
> installing tomcat?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

The init scripts that come with the package are generally a pretty good
way to start it, as you did - /etc/init.d/tomcat5 start.  Especially if
you want to use them at boot time. But they're not working, for reasons
you've found out, i.e. that the $JAVA_HOME is pointing to a JRE not a JDK.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, and I don't know how it varies. But Debian
distros ship with gcj as the java compiler, and while it's free, it will
give you grief compared to the Sun one, so you're right (in every way
apart, perhaps, from the free-software-purist philosophical way) to try
and use the Sun version.

Chances are that the Debian tomcat init scripts point to gcj not to the
Sun jdk. It's OK, you can fix that. Try javac -version, it will tell you
about the compiler (which is part of the jdk, not the jre).  Probably
you will find that /usr/bin/java and about half a dozen other
/usr/bin/javax commands including javac and javah are symlinks to the
gcj versions of java somewhere in /usr/lib. So what you need to do is to
change those symlinks to point to the Sun ones, probably in
/usr/share/lib. Some distros have a command which lets you change the
system's version of java (Gentoo does, I'm not sure about Debian)
without manually editing all the symlinks.

Now you say you're using Tomcat 5 - this isn't quite a complete answer.
Tomcat5 comes in two flavours, the 5.0 series and the 5.5.  If you have
a 5.0 series, it will work with a 1.4.2 jdk out of the box, whereas 5.5
prefers a 1.5 (Java 5) jdk, Again I think the standard Debian tomcat 5
package, even in unstable, is a 5.0, because there aren't yet any free
1.5 javacs. Just don't go using Java 5 stuff like generics in your
servlets.

Don't think of this as a trial, think of it as a learning experience...
you'll find your way round your system, so that editing a symlink and
exporting an environment variable become second nature.  Getting to the
welcome orangey-yellow cat will only be the first part; what you really
want to see is your own webapp...