Hello Group,

I've just installed Tomcat 9.0.89.

First a the first few lines on the Catalina log:
NOTE: Picked up JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS:  --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED
--add-opens=java.base/java.io=ALL-UNNAMED
--add-opens=java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED
--add-opens=java.base/java.util.concurrent=ALL-UNNAMED
--add-opens=java.rmi/sun.rmi.transport=ALL-UNNAMED
usage: java org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina [ -config {pathname} ] [
-nonaming ] [ -generateCode [ {pathname} ] ] [ -useGeneratedCode ] { -help |
start | stop }
22-May-2024 11:16:47.794 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server version name:
Apache Tomcat/9.0.89

Tomcat runs, and I can get to the console at http://localhost:8080/ but, when I
click on "Server Status" I get the 401 Unauthorized page.

I've been editing the conf\tomcat-users.xml file and have tried MANY different
combinations of entries but, can't get past the 401 problem. I know editing the
correct file as I see Tomcat logging:
22-May-2024 11:30:00.479 INFO [Catalina-utility-1]
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase.backgroundProcess Reloading memory
user database [UserDatabase] from updated source
[file:/C:/myProgs/apache-tomcat-9.0.89/conf/tomcat-users.xml]

Regardless, I stop and restart Tomcat to make sure it's picking up the changes.

Here's my current file contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<tomcat-users xmlns=http://tomcat.apache.org/xml
              xmlns:xsi=http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
              xsi:schemaLocation=http://tomcat.apache.org/xml
tomcat-users.xsd<http://tomcat.apache.org/xml%20tomcat-users.xsd>
              version="1.0">

  <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
  <role rolename="manager-script"/>

   <user username="admin" password="admin" roles="manager-gui,manager-script" />

</tomcat-users>

Thanks in advance,

and privileged information or may otherwise be protected by law. Any
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachment thereto.