I have some servlets that I can't put security constraints on at the web.xml level.  However, deep down in the code there are some places that I need a user to be logged in.  My overall UI ensures this all works by having certain JSPs with constraints that force the user to log in before getting to the servlet.  But if the user spends too much time interacting with the servlet and not reloading one of the pages that require a login, the session will timeout, and the user is now buried in one of the servlets, and I've lost the session/userprincipal.  It appears that interacting with a servlet that has no constraints does not reset the session timer.  Is that correct, or am I seeing it wrong?  I know the easy answer would be to add a constraint requiring login to access the servlet.  But with the current design, that's not going to work. Is there something I can do in the servlet and/or servlet config in web.xml to force servlet access to keep resetting the session timer so it won't expire without having to put role constraints directly on the servlet?

Thx

Jerry