Francesco,

> These work fine over http, but Tomcat gives me the
> following message if I run the application over https
>
> sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: No trusted certificate found

This usually indicates that Java is trying to make an HTTPS connection
to a server that does not have a trusted certificate installed locally.

So, first: does your servlet make any outgoing HTTPS connections? If you
are using something like Cocoon to do transformations or you are loading
up some kind of page description file over HTTPS, then this may be the case.

If you /are/ making such a connection, make sure that the cert for the
remote server (even if it is the local server :) ) has been imported
into your keystore that Java is using.

-chris