Jim Mensinger wrote:
> Well seeing as how its the "tomcat start" that is causing the problems I
> think this is the right place...The only way I can see it being an OX
> problem is if the file they provided is more or less formatted incorrectly
> but I doubt that would cause Tomcat to issue a file not found error.
> Catalina.sh is generating the error - it has nothing to do with OX at this
> point as far as I'm concerned.

If it has nothing to do with OX then why do you start your post with talking
about how you want to install OX, which website you visited for OX
installation instructions...
I skipped your OP exactly because of this. I know nothing about OX, so why
should I bother to read any further?

After reading your OP fully, it seems to me that it all boils down to the
question "how do I set a Java property (or a JVM option in general) when
starting Tomcat?".

IMO the most convenient way of passing JVM options to the Tomcat startup
process is the following:
Create a file named "setenv.sh" (resp. "setenv.bat" if you're an Windows) in
Tomcat's "bin" directory (where "startup.sh", "catalina.sh" etc. are located)
and add a line reading
JAVA_OPTS="<your java options here>"
In your case, I guess this should be
JAVA_OPTS="-Dopenexchange.propfile=/usr/local/openxchange/etc/groupware/system.properties"
Note: it's "JAVA_OPTS", not "java_opts" or "JaVa_opTS".

You could insert this line directly into catalina.sh but I'd recommend to not
mess around with it. catalina.sh sources setenv.sh for this very reason.

If the above doesn't help you, you should start helping others to help you by
providing at least the most basic information like
- Tomcat version
- OS
- what *exactly* you did and what *exactly* was the outcome of your actions.

Regards
  mks