aladdin wrote:

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 07:42, David Smith wrote:
aladdin wrote:

I have an apache-http tomcat configuration set up that works just
fine, with static htm's, jsp's, and servlets, except for one thing.  It
finds all my .htm static content, and, when serving that, uses the
referenced .css style sheets.  However, when it goes to tomcat and
serves .jsp files, it doesn't process them with the .css style sheet.

I thought that the page went to the browser, the browser "sees" the
reference to the .css file, then goes back and requests it to determine
how to render the page.

Is this right?  If so, why doesn't apache give the .css file out of its
directory
like it does for the .htm pages?  BTW, I've also tried putting a copy of the
.css file in the same directory as the .jsp pages, to no avail, and, in the .jsp
file, have tried several combinations and permutations of referencing the
.css file using various url's including and not including the webapp directory
name.

Here's the directory structure:

apache's stuff:

/var/www/MyWebSite/                         <- All .htm's and .css's
/var/webapps/MyWebSite/                 <- All .jsp's and .tld's
/var/webapps/MyWebSite/WEB-INF  <- Exactly what you think it is- all servlets
and tag libraries

Thanks.
anw

Your assumption is correct that the client browser makes a separate request to retrieve css files just like images or any other page resource.

I would think your apache access log would offer some insight into why the css files aren't being delivered and what the status code is. You can also attempt to access them directly and see what kind of response you get.

--David

Thanks!  I'll check out those logs as soon as I get into work,  Meantime,
what do you mean by "attempt to access them directly"?

anw

Type the url of the css file in your favorite browser: http://www.myserver.com/path/to/css/cssfile.css

--David