Some posted something about this but nobody posted something like a
solution :(

The problem:
Running heavy webApp that reads data form MySQL and outputs XML to a
XSL transformer, everything works fine at first. After a non-
definable time, even without any load to the webserver, it starts
failing to read special characters from database converting all of
those in famously damned ? characters.

Working with:
MySQL 5.0.18-pro (connector 3.0.10) + Tomcat 5.0.18
on RedHat Linux and JDK 1.4.2

Just tested:
Debuging step by step I finally tryed to print on stdout all queryed
data directly from returned ResultSet and found out that every
special characters  was already converted to ?. Restarting Tomcat it
works perfectly and then starts again to fail after a non-valuable
time.

More info:
I am working with ISO-8859-1 charset and connecting to mySQL with
useUnicode=true and characterEncoding=latin1 parameters.
I am connecting mySQL using the MySQL Connector Driver class (no
tomcat DBCP).

Now I am feeling like a newby in front of this. PLEASE :P have you
got something for me?
Thanks,
--
Livio Pedretti