AFAIK, Tomcat and IIS are two different things.
Tomcat is a servlet container and IIS is a webserver.

If you are comparing static webpages serving capabilities of these two..
then yes.. Tomcat is no better than IIS.
But being a Servlet Container, Tomcat wins the race with IIS all hands up.
:)

Viraj

On 8/28/06, Leon Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 8/25/06, gurusamy.senthil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the information peter.
>
> I am a ERP developer.  But I am trying to learn some web technologies
and I
> choosen Tomcat with jsp/servlet to develop small application.
>
> I am just finding hard advantage bewteen the IIS and tomcat but didn't
get.
> You explanation awakens me somehow.

The main advantage is probably that you can use tomcat to host
webapplications written in java. I seriously doubt that iis can handle
it :-)

Leon

> Peter Crowther wrote:
> >
> >> From: gurusamy.senthil [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> Can any one give me idea, What is the difference between
> >> Microsoft IIS server and Tomcat Server.
> >>
> >> Which is best and has better security to work, develop and for
deploy.

> > Ooh, religious wars :-).
> >
> > - Both are Web servers;
> > - Both are "fast enough" and have enough features for most
applications;
> > - Both have "good enough" security if correctly deployed and
configured;
> > - Both support hot deployment;
> > - Both are "good enough" to develop for if you have or can buy in the
> > appropriate skill-set;
> > - Tomcat is free and portable to non-Windows OSs; IIS requires a
Windows