Using mpm_worker gave less impressive results; I'd say about 1/2, a much worse load average (way more than 5), and lots of swap. Seems like prefork works better on linux and I'm surprised. Anyway, assuming that I got the maxProcessors wrong I should have seen queues building up @ 150*4 instead they start < 50% that value.

The thing that makes me think it's a mod_jk issue is the fact that suddenly all request flow locks onto a node and stays busy until I restart apache.