>From your directory path mentioned it looks like this is a work folder

/srv/www/tomcat5/base/webapps/simulator/WORK/yqzatmopa343/cimmsim:

Is it possible that your dir/file is not available at some point
in time when servlet is executing ?

Have you tried executing a process from some fixed directory
location instead  ??
-Sameer

Mark HB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Tomcat is started using the startup.sh
script provided and it runs using
a specific tomcat account which has admin type rights.
I am beginning to wonder what sort of problem this may be, as I must
emphasise that:
The runtime.exec() DOES work sometimes, and not others. There does not
seem to be a pattern to when it works.
Literally, I can click on the link and it will work, then click back and
click on the link again, and it won't work!

Because of this, I am trying to rack my brains as to what might cause
this runtime.exec() to throw a "cannot execute" error sometimes, but not
others.
It seems possible that it is not an error with Tomcat, as otherwise why
would it not be consistently failing?
Cheers
Mark