Hello Tomcat Users et. al.

I've been developing with tomcat for a few years now,
and I've never had this problem until I decided to
restructure some code to save time by consolidating
files with similar content AT DIFFERENT LEVELS in the
DIRECTORY TREE.  Now these files I have been using, I
was already including in each of my jsp's as a
header.inc or a header.jsp by using the <%@ include
file="header.inc" %> directive and they'd been working
great.  Now I decided I only wanted them at one
directory level so I could maintain them easier.  So
is a child directory I used the directive <%@ include
file="../header.jsp" %>.

But when I made these changes, some bizarre behavior
started.  At first I thought it was random, but then I
checked closer and the error occurs at a regular
interval.

When I would load my page, sometimes it would load
properly, and other times, I would get a 500 error as
seen below.  So I tried reloading the page four times
a second to see if the occurance was random.  It was
not.  The error occured once in 12 page reloads over a
period of three seconds, and the pattern continued
that way for some time, in a very precise manner.

This happens on pages both in the application root
which sit directly beside the header.jsp file to be
included, and on pages in the child directory.

What would be causing this?  I run SuSE linux and KDE.
 I've tried in multiple browsers to avoid cacheing
errors.

Stack trace below:

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error
() that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/sites/14/index.jsp(8,0) File "/header.jsp" not found

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:510)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:375)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)

root cause

org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/sites/14/index.jsp(8,0) File "/header.jsp" not found

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:39)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:405)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:86)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.processIncludeDirective(Parser.java:339)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseIncludeDirective(Parser.java:372)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:484)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1552)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:126)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.doParse(ParserController.java:211)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:100)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:155)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:295)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:276)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:264)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:563)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:303)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is
available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.17 logs.