hi david,

On 9/21/06, David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At most, some links between webapps will
have to be updated to reflect the adjustments in path.

exactly, and you can save the time updating them

I also can't recommend Apache httpd in front unless the site is a mixed
bag of technology -- perl, php, java, user client based html authoring,
etc., ...

well, most systems "in the wild" use at least a mix of html and some dynamic
components (most of them java-based).
having this situation, it's kinda awkward with tomcat alone.

just to give you an example:

try to change the headers of static html (i.e. caching-directive) to improve
the performance of you web-app: with tomcat, you'll need to write some valve
which adjusts the headers accordingly, since afaik there is no possibility
to change them using some config-files in tomcat. same goes for url-rwriting
etc. here, apache in the frontend comes in handy. besides, from my own
experiences i figure that serving static content via apache http performs
slightly *cough* better than serving them via tomcat.

however, i think apache http PLUS tomcat for dynamic content is a great
combination which is likely to satisfy 99% of anyone's requirements.

anyways, getting off topic here, and your oppinion is very much appreciated
- as always ;)

cheers

gregor