JSP lifecycle documentation tells me that there should be .java
files named _0002fpageName_jsp.java. I don't have such files
(no java files at all).

I did a brand new Tomcat installation and executed one JSP
example but there is only a tldCache.ser file in work\Catalina\
localhost\jsp-examples.

Where are the compiled JSP files? How can I see if they get
cached or will Tomcat compile them every time or at restarts?

Regards,
  Frank