Daniel Blumenthal wrote:

Chris,
How does the lb decide where you go for all requests after the first one? Typically, the session id is sniffed from the URL or cookie and the lb maintains a table of mappings that expires after some time.

Our two choices are evidently "IP-based" and "cookie-based".  Currently,
we're using "IP-based", so every IP address is treated as a separate
request.  I'm looking into making it cookie-based, and making cookies a
requirement for the site (currently, we only use cookies to store a couple
of simple preferences).  Any idea how many people have cookies turned off?
Enough that it can be an issue; a couple of years ago we had a survey app where somewhere around 5% of the responses were lost (before we realized what was going on) because of cookies being turned off. However, you might be able to get things to work if you told the users that cookies were required, and allowed them to use the most restrictive cookie settings (same server only, etc).

Dave