From: Karen Koch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 5:11 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: JspC precompilation dilemma

I am using JspC to precompile a large number of JSPs (1000ish).  I want to
take advantage of the servlet-mapping generation/merge into web.xml that is
available using the <taskdef classname="org.apache.jasper.JspC"
name="jasper2"> syntax; however, I have been unsuccessful in my efforts to
fork a new JVM (since there is apparently no exposed command-line argument
for this).  I consistently run out of memory using this method, despite
ample available memory and Jvm tunings.

I have solved the out of memory errors by instead using a straight <java>
call, which allows me to fork a new JVM.  I break up the overall number of
JSPs into smaller batches, and as each batch is completed, memory is
appropriately reclaimed.  However, though I still can generate the
servlet-mappings I need for the web.xml, I am not aware of a way to
automatically merge the result into the webapp's web.xml file.

Have others found a way to have your cake (fork a new JVM for JSP
precompilation) and eat it too (automatically merge the generated servlet
mappings into the webapp's web.xml)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Karen Koch