On 10/17/06, Jason Novotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm unsure what you're trying to do --

+ URLs should look "nice" and be bookmarkable in the style of REST e.g.
http://localhost/myapp/mylayout/someaction/

    The approach I started to take was to use a servlet filter that
could take any request e.g. "myapp?foo=bar&color=red"

If you want  "nice" URLs why would you ever provide something like
the one above? Why not "myapp/bar/red" ??

    However, I noticed depending on the initial URL a user put in,
sometimes bad or unexpected things happened so I thought maybe using a
filter with a forward is very fragile code.

It's as robust as *you*  make it  :-)

If you're using pathInfo to break out your parameters and someone
inserts something extraneous, like  "myapp/bar/oops/red" -- it's up to
you to recognize that and deal with it.

And yes, I for one use filters for this kind of thing all the time...

HTH!
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [EMAIL PROTECTED]