Is the owner:group of your logs directory also tomcat:tomcat?  You might
want to try to su to tomcat and touch(1) a file in the logs directory.
You might also want to chmod 751 on the whole tomcat tree, it could save
you from more troubleshooting later.

---
Tracy Nelson / Nelnet Business Solutions
402 / 617-9449

The information contained in this message is confidential
proprietary property of FACTS/Nelnet Business Solutions. Any reproduction,
forwarding, or copying without the express
permission of FACTS/Nelnet Business Solutions is strictly prohibited. If you
have
received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to this e-mail.