Yes, tomcat:tomcat is the owner:group of the entire tree
I touched as tomcat and works ok.
I modified to 751 the entire tree.
Same results.

*********************This is my tomcatd*************************

#!/bin/sh
  # Sartup script for the Jakarta Tomcat Java Servlets and JSP server
  #
  # chkconfig: - 85 15
  # processname: tomcat
  # pidfile: /var/run/tomcat.pid
  # config:

  # Source function library.
  . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

  # Source networking configuration.
  . /etc/sysconfig/network

  # Check that networking is up.
  [ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

  # Set Tomcat environment.
  export
CLASSPATH=.:/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_08/lib/tools.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_08/jr
e/lib/rt.jar
  export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/tomcat
  export CATALINA_OPTS="-server -Xms64m -Xmx512m
-Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true"
  export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_08

  [ -f /usr/tomcat/bin/startup.sh ] || exit 0
  [ -f /usr/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh ] || exit 0

  export PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

  # See how we were called.
  case "$1" in
    start)
          # Start daemon.
          echo -n "Starting Tomcat: "
          su tomcat -c /usr/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
          RETVAL=$?
          echo
          [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/tomcat
          ;;
    stop)
          # Stop daemons.
          echo -n "Shutting down Tomcat: "
          su tomcat -c /usr/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh
          RETVAL=$?
          echo
          [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/tomcat
          ;;
    restart)
          $0 stop
          $0 start
          ;;
    condrestart)
         [ -e /var/lock/subsys/tomcat ] && $0 restart
         ;;
    status)
          status tomcat
          ;;
    *)
          echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
          exit 1
  esac

  exit 0

******************This is my log*******************

[EMAIL PROTECTED] logs]# cat localhost.2006-10-18.log
Oct 18, 2006 1:41:02 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
loadOnStartup
SEVERE: Servlet /MCS threw load() exception
java.io.IOException: No such file or directory
        at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
        at java.io.File.createNewFile(File.java:850)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.util.FileUtils.createFile(FileUtils.java:168)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.util.FileUtils.createIfNotExists(FileUtils.java:176)
        at com.gvr.fms.core.io.XFile.openForWrite(XFile.java:44)
        at com.gvr.fms.core.io.XFile.openForWrite(XFile.java:28)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.util.logging.FilePublisher.createCurrentFile(FilePublis
her.java:79)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.util.logging.FilePublisher.open(FilePublisher.java:42)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.util.logging.Logger.configure(Logger.java:33)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.application.Application.configLogger(Application.java:1
25)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.application.Application.startup(Application.java:99)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.application.Application.startupWebApplication(Applicati
on.java:37)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.web.CentricServlet.startApplication(CentricServlet.java
:70)
        at
com.gvr.fms.core.web.CentricServlet.init(CentricServlet.java:41)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.jav
a:1105)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:932)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.j
ava:3917)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4201
)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.ja
va:759)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:
608)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java
:535)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:470)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1122)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:31
0)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSu
pport.java:119)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1021)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
        at
a:39)
        at
Impl.java:25)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)