From: David Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:50 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Confused about getRemoteUser and Apache authentication

I can fix one issue for you -- if you add the attribute
tomcatAuthentication="false" to the connector element in server.xml, the
remote user will start coming through from Apache httpd.

Never tried to do security constraints in web.xml and use
tomcatAuthentication="false" together.  You could try it.  My suspicion
is it should work.

--David

Joe Pluta wrote:

I am trying to authenticate via Apache and use getRemoteUser in Tomcat.
I want to serve static pages via Apache and run a web application through Tomcat. I am receiving a null for getRemoteUser in my simple Spy servlet. I have read in different places where the AJP connector requires the keyword "tomcatAuthentication" and other places where it says "request.tomcatAuthentication". I'm not sure whether I the security constraints define in the application's web.xml. I'm not even

sure if I have to use a Location to secure the application, although that seemed to get me closest. In any case, I've tried lots of
combinations:

1. tomcatAuthentication vs. request.tomcatAuthentication 2. Security constraints in the application web.xml vs. no constraints

I've tried the four combinations of the above along with others.
Supplying an authentication realm to the Location got me challenged when I tried to launch the servlet. That's the closest I've gotten, and changes to the other options above seem to make no difference. In the mod_jk.log file, I see the user ID being passed to the connector. I just don't see it in getRemoteUser in the servlet. Here are the last

lines of the request from the mod_jk.log:

05 00 1E 42 61 73 69 63 20 53 6D 39 6C 49 46 42  - ...Basic.Sm9lIFB
73 64 58 52 68 4F 6D 46 77 59 57 4E 6F 5A 58 42  - sdXRhOmFwYWNoZXB
33 00 A0 08 00 01 30 00 03 00 09 4A 6F 65 20 50 - 3.....0....Joe.P 6C 75 74 61 00 04 00 05 42 61 73 69 63 00 FF 00 - luta....Basic...

But the Spy servlet shows the remote user as null. (Interestingly, getRemoteHost and getRemoteAddr return valid information.)

I'm out of ideas.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Joe