Broken pipe errors are something that we want to debug too. Our enviroment
is:
Tomcat 5.5.17,
 apache 2.2.3
 mod_proxy_ajp

Sometimes we have a broken pipe too. Under heavy load, it happens more
times, but our server keeps serving with no problems. Any ideas?

Rafael Sarres de Almeida
Seção de Gerenciamento de Rede
Superior Tribunal de Justiça
Tel: (61) 3319-9342

Martin Kautz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
18/10/2006 15:37
Favor responder a
"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>

Para
users@tomcat.apache.org
cc

Assunto
mod_jk broken pipe

Hello list,

after wasting a few days to solve my problem using Google I ended up
her. :-)
I've written a straight forward web store/shop (a front controller
servlet using dbcp/mysql with a couple of jsps included conditionally).
I am using
Mac OS X 10.4.8, Tomcat 5.5.17, mod_jk 1.2.19, JavaSDK 5.0 and Apache
1.3.33
As far as I can consider, the config (<Connector>, httpd.conf,
workers.properties) is very close to the defaults.
The application itself seems to be okay. In fact the store is already
online (even if driven by linux instead of mac os x) and serves a
couple of hundred orders per day w/o worries.

I just wanted to know why a simple

ab -n2 -c2 http://q16.hq.martin.de/

makes a lot of noise (well one entry in this case) in my catalina.out
<snip>
18.10.2006 20:17:37 org.apache.jk.core.MsgContext action
WARNUNG: Error sending end packet
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
         at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite
(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
         at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:
136)
         at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.send
(ChannelSocket.java:518)
         at org.apache.jk.common.JkInputStream.endMessage
(JkInputStream.java:112)
         at org.apache.jk.core.MsgContext.action(MsgContext.java:293)
         at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:182)
         at org.apache.coyote.Response.finish(Response.java:304)
         at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke
(JkCoyoteHandler.java:204)
         at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke
(HandlerRequest.java:282)
         at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke
(ChannelSocket.java:754)
         at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection
(ChannelSocket.java:684)
         at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt
(ChannelSocket.java:876)
         at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
18.10.2006 20:17:37 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket processConnection
WARNUNG: processCallbacks status 2
</snip>

If I do an
ab -n2 -c2 http://q16.hq.martin.de:8080/
the log file does not add such an entry.

What's wrong here? To me it seems that the connection between Apache
and Tomcat is somewhat broken or at least not correct configured?

Sorry for my bad english and thx in advance,
Martin