connection refused, simple the Tomcat instance is unable to open a connection to the other instance to send the replication data. your systems will continue to function, but if you fail over that other node might not have your data. You'll want to find out why it is failing to open a connection, maybe the other node is broadcasting the wrong address, you should see the address and ports in the log as the members join the cluster, and you can take it from there.

Filip

Haroon Rafique wrote:
Hi all,

In a tomcat cluster deployed in production, I'm seeing the following in catalina.out:

2006-09-21 14:31:29,778 WARN FastAsyncSocketSender - Unable to asynchronously send session with id=[A1C6AD293C423C51568CCF24EFBD6064-1158863489776] - message will be ignored.
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
at org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.DataSender.createSocket(DataSender.java:704) at org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.DataSender.openSocket(DataSender.java:679) at org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.DataSender.pushMessage(DataSender.java:803) at org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.FastAsyncSocketSender$FastQueueThread.pushQueuedMessages(FastAsyncSocketSender.java:476) at org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.FastAsyncSocketSender$FastQueueThread.run(FastAsyncSocketSender.java:442)

I'm getting these at quite an alarming pace at the moment. AFAIK, service is not affected since we ourselves are albe to use the application satisfactorily, and have not had reports of wide-spread failures.

This is on Redhat AS3 linux machines with tomcat 5.5.17 with java 1.5.0_06. Following is my cluster configuration (abbreviated):

<Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
                 expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
                 useDirtyFlag="true"
                 notifyListenersOnReplication="true">

            <Membership
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
                mcastAddr="228.0.0.4"
                mcastPort="45564"
                mcastFrequency="1000"
                mcastDropTime="30000"/>

            <Receiver
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
                tcpListenAddress="auto"
                tcpListenPort="4001"
                tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
                tcpThreadCount="6"
                compress="false"/>

            <Sender
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
                replicationMode="fastasyncqueue"
                compress="false"
                doProcessingStats="true"
                queueTimeWait="true"
                waitForAck="false"
                autoConnect="false"
                keepAliveTimeout="360000"
                keepAliveMaxRequestCount="-1"/>
[..cut for brevity..]

What should I be looking at changing? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
--
Haroon Rafique
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>