> From: Michael Hencin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: installing the admin on 5.5
>
> I did use all the apache org tomcat distributions. Nothing
> third part.

Good.

> I never did edit the tomcat-users.xml. During the 5.5 install
> I did create an "admin" users and password. I can use this to
> access the tomcat manager application just fine.

O.k., check the conf/tomcat-users.xml to make sure that your "admin"
userid has roles of "admin" and "manager" (at least the latter should
already be there).  Update as needed, while Tomcat is not running.

> But I cannot gain access to any sort of login page at all for
> the admin app.

That's because it's not installed properly.  If you just unzip the admin
package, most of it will drop into server/webapps, where the manager and
host-manager apps are already installed.  Normal apps go into the
regular webapps directory, but these three require special handling in
5.5 and below.

> And perhaps I am confused as to how to deploy an application from a
> directory.

What you did is fine for normal apps, but not this one.

> Are you suggesting I simply extract the contents of the zip
> file into my webapps directory?

No, the paths are already set up in the admin zip file to go right on
top of the Tomcat installation.  There are pieces that have to go into
several different directories, none of them the standard webapps.  Look
at the structure inside the admin zip file and notice how it matches up
to your already installed Tomcat.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.