Hi Andy,

Perhaps I'm missing a key point about what you're trying to achieve, but if you simply put your ROOT.war file *outside* of ${CATALINA_HOME}/webapps and update your ROOT.xml file with an appropriate docBase element you'll find that it unpacks just fine. To wit, this works on TC-5.5.20:

--- ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml ---
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context debug="1" docBase="/tmp/ROOT.war">
</Context>

In fact, the war can be named anything you want. It's the context descriptor name 'ROOT' that tells Tomcat to use this app as the default.

Cheers,

-chris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SourceLabs,Inc - Dependable Open Source Systems

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Nathan,

I thought there must be other users out there experiencing the same
problem!    No - I haven't been able to resolve my problem (ROOT.war
doesn't unpack when ROOT.xml is in conf/Catalina/localhost), and have to
work around it instead.
I think the path attribute should be set to "" for a root application -
though I think tomcat is robust in case you do use "/".

When I was experimenting,  I was able to get the war file to expand if (1)
there wasn't a ROOT.xml in conf/Catalina/localhost and (2) ROOT.war has
META-INF/context.xml :

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=116107471021645&w=2

and I think it will also expand if ROOT.war doesn't have a META-INF
directory.

But for our application, we need to use different context files in
different environments, and so can't ship a war file containing one context
file.  So I've written ant tasks to manually unpack the war when deploying
the app locally, and when the war is released, we have to manually unpack
the war.

... a drag - which is why I've been chasing this problem on this list (and
I guess I should raise a bug in bugzilla?)

cheers,

Andy