Hi Chris,

thanks for  your suggestion of adding a docBase to context.xml - that
works, and so I can simplify some of our scripts as a result :-).

Just to confirm:

Adding, e.g. docBase="/tmp/ROOT.war" to ROOT.xml works for me - the war is
expanded into the webapps directory (nice!).
However, docBase= "...[path to catalina home] /webapps/ROOT.war" doesn't,
nor does a relative path such as:  docBase="ROOT.war", nor does missing out
this attribute.

If the war and context.xml file are renamed, e.g. to myApp.war and
myApp.xml - then the war will expand if it is placed inside the webapps
directory.

My confusion, then, has been that tomcat behaves one way for regular apps
(these expand fine when dropped into the webapps directory), but
differently for the ROOT app (this won't expanded when placed inside
webapps) - which took me by surprise, and made me wonder if there is a bug.

Andy

             Chris Halstead
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       Tomcat Users List
             08/11/2006 23:51          <users@tomcat.apache.org>,
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: problems with unpacking
                                       ROOT.war

Hi Andy,

Perhaps I'm missing a key point about what you're trying to achieve, but
if you simply put your ROOT.war file *outside* of
${CATALINA_HOME}/webapps and update your ROOT.xml file with an
appropriate docBase element you'll find that it unpacks just fine. To
wit, this works on TC-5.5.20:

--- ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml ---
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context debug="1" docBase="/tmp/ROOT.war">
</Context>

In fact, the war can be named anything you want. It's the context
descriptor name 'ROOT' that tells Tomcat to use this app as the default.

Cheers,

-chris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SourceLabs,Inc - Dependable Open Source Systems

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> I thought there must be other users out there experiencing the same
> problem!    No - I haven't been able to resolve my problem (ROOT.war
> doesn't unpack when ROOT.xml is in conf/Catalina/localhost), and have to
> work around it instead.
>
> I think the path attribute should be set to "" for a root application -
> though I think tomcat is robust in case you do use "/".
>
> When I was experimenting,  I was able to get the war file to expand if
(1)
> there wasn't a ROOT.xml in conf/Catalina/localhost and (2) ROOT.war has
> META-INF/context.xml :
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=116107471021645&w=2
>
> and I think it will also expand if ROOT.war doesn't have a META-INF
> directory.
>
> But for our application, we need to use different context files in
> different environments, and so can't ship a war file containing one
context
> file.  So I've written ant tasks to manually unpack the war when
deploying
> the app locally, and when the war is released, we have to manually unpack
> the war.
>
> ... a drag - which is why I've been chasing this problem on this list
(and
> I guess I should raise a bug in bugzilla?)
>
> cheers,
>
> Andy

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,