From: Hassan Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 9, 2006 2:35:52 PM
Subject: Re: Switching between 2 projects, each setup at Tomcat's ROOT context
deletes the source folder of the 2nd project.

On 11/9/06, Rashmi Rubdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But, my problem only applies to the development envrionment. I tried to set
> up the virtual host on the dev machine by following instructions here:
> http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Guide+to+using+Apache+Tomcat's+Virtual+Hosts

You don't need anything to do with Apache httpd.

> This resulted in a virtual folder virtual.domainname.com under
> \dev\apache-tomcat-5.5.12\work\Catalina\ , but I wasn't able to access the
> application
> via http://virtual.domainname.com:8080/
>
> It says "you need to have entries in your DNS server ", I guess I can't have
> this set up while on the local dev box.

Of course you can. Let's say your current hostname is "hawaii". You
have an entry in your hosts file like

192.168.10.20 hawaii

So you add another name after that, maybe

192.168.10.20 hawaii maui

Now you create two Host elements in your Tomcat's server.xml, one
for each hostname, with appBase entries something like webapps/hawaii
and webapps/maui.

Now you install your two apps as ROOT in their respective directories,
and you're good to go.

Believe me, this is not rocket science, and having multiple aliased hosts
on your desktop can simplify a developer's life immensely. :-)

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [EMAIL PROTECTED]