[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
> thanks all for your reply.
>
> actually, I have this kind of directory hierarchy:
> myapp/build.properties
> myapp/build.xml
> myapp/web/*.jsp
> myapp/web/WEB-INF/web.xml
> myapp/web/WEB-INF/lib/requiredlibs.jar
> myapp/web/WEB-INF/classes
> myapp/src/../*.java

This is the source, you organize it whatever way you want it organized,
it has nothing to do with tomcat
> and after running ant install, I have this directory structure and I
> foudn every neccesary jars in the lib directory.
>
> build/*.jsp
> build/WEB-INF/web.xml
> build/WEB-INF/lib/requiredlibs.jar
> build/WEB-INF/classes/../myclasses.class

Your ant script is building to build/ directory, nice, but again nothing
to do with tomcat
> According to your recommendation (also servet spec), my WEB-INF should
> be at the first level of the app deployment directory. It is really at
> the correct place, isn't it?

It's in your "build" directory that has nothing to do with the
"deployment" directory. The build directory has to do with the way you
compile and organize your source. It's not related in any way to tomcat
or any other webapp server. You are missing the step where you need to
transfer your builded application to the server (this step is named "the
deployment").

To do this either put the content of your build/ directory to <tomcat
dir>/webapps/<name of your webapp>/, either create a <name of you
webapp>.war file with the content of your build/ directory and deploy it
to tomcat using the tomcat manager. There is even a ant task to do this
(see tomcat docs about deployment for more informations)