I'm not sure this will work because when I redeploy the webapp the first
call to LogFactory.cacheFactory() shows that the factoryCache is empty.
Is it possible that the LogFactory was created by a different
ClassLoader and therefore it's statics are invisible to the redeployment
of the webapp.  But if the LogFactory *did* belong to the old
classloader then I would expect it would be GCable along with the
Classloader itself.

Kind of a circular argument I think.

As a brief aside I found the following code in the
WebAppClassLoader.releaseResources() of Tomcat 6, so it looks like some
of the well-known caches are being cleared out by Tomcat itself.

    protected void clearReferences() {

        // Unregister any JDBC drivers loaded by this classloader
        Enumeration drivers = DriverManager.getDrivers();
        while (drivers.hasMoreElements()) {
            Driver driver = (Driver) drivers.nextElement();
            if (driver.getClass().getClassLoader() == this) {
                try {
                    DriverManager.deregisterDriver(driver);
                } catch (SQLException e) {
                    log.warn("SQL driver deregistration failed", e);
                }
            }
        }

        // Null out any static or final fields from loaded classes,
        // as a workaround for apparent garbage collection bugs
        Iterator loadedClasses = ((HashMap)
resourceEntries.clone()).values().iterator();
        while (loadedClasses.hasNext()) {
            ResourceEntry entry = (ResourceEntry) loadedClasses.next();
            if (entry.loadedClass != null) {
                Class clazz = entry.loadedClass;
                try {
                    Field[] fields = clazz.getDeclaredFields();
                    for (int i = 0; i < fields.length; i++) {
                        Field field = fields[i];
                        int mods = field.getModifiers();
                        if (field.getType().isPrimitive()
                                || (field.getName().indexOf("$") != -1))
{
                            continue;
                        }
                        if (Modifier.isStatic(mods)) {
                            try {
                                field.setAccessible(true);
                                if (Modifier.isFinal(mods)) {
                                    if
(!((field.getType().getName().startsWith("java."))
(field.getType().getName().startsWith("javax.")))) {
                                        nullInstance(field.get(null));
                                    }
                                } else {
                                    field.set(null, null);
                                    if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
                                        log.debug("Set field " +
field.getName()
                                                + " to null in class " +
clazz.getName());
                                    }
                                }
                            } catch (Throwable t) {
                                if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
                                    log.debug("Could not set field " +
field.getName()
                                            + " to null in class " +
clazz.getName(), t);
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                } catch (Throwable t) {
                    if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
                        log.debug("Could not clean fields for class " +
clazz.getName(), t);
                    }
                }
            }
        }

         // Clear the IntrospectionUtils cache.
        IntrospectionUtils.clear();

        // Clear the classloader reference in common-logging
        org.apache.juli.logging.LogFactory.release(this);

        // Clear the classloader reference in the VM's bean introspector
        java.beans.Introspector.flushCaches();

    }

Not sure really where to go from here.  My previous experience with
profilers (I've tried most of them) is that they aren't very good for
pinning down problems like this.  Getting answers to a question like
"where/what is my Classloader reference being held from/by?" is
difficult or impossible.  Maybe I was using them wrong.  If things have
changed in the last year and someone could recommend a good profiler
please let me know.

Cheers.