> From: Martin Gainty [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> As Tomcat is OpenSource (and not proprietary) and can be
> installed on any OS (vs just 1) I dont undertand
> What is causing the number of Tomcat users to attenuate over time?

Ancient history, I know, but I'll respond anyway.

A Model T Ford is a perfectly good car.  However, if Ford don't innovate
and other car manufacturers do, people buying new cars will switch away
from Ford to vehicles that are cheaper, faster, have lower fuel costs or
innovations like a roof.

Tomcat and JSP is a perfectly good model for web applications.  However,
if the Java community and the Tomcat developers don't innovate and other
communities do (for example the PHP community and Microsoft), people
deploying new applications will switch away from Tomcat and JSP to
systems that are cheaper, faster to develop, have lower hosting/running
costs or innovations like per-webapp memory and CPU throttling.

The issue is not that Tomcat is bad in absolute terms, it's simply that
other communities are out-innovating it so it's becoming a (perceived)
poorer *relative* choice.

                - Peter