olivier nouguier wrote:

hi,
By http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html
Shared is the parent classloader of webapp.

AFAIK the consequence of this in that a class loaded from webapp classloader can see other classes (whenever they come from shared, webapp or common), but the reverse is not true, and could lead to ClassNotDef or ClassNotFound
exeption unless some classloader hack are performed ...

This sentence:
"For classes and resources that must be shared across all web applications, place unpacked classes and resources under |$CATALINA_BASE/shared/classes|, or place JAR files containing those classes and resources under |$CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib|."

is exactly what I'm referring to, but I've never gotten this to work. My webapps can't see classes in the .jar that is in the shared/lib folder; I get the ClassNotFound errors when I try.