From: David Kerber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 6:55 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Deploying shared .jar's

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

From: David Kerber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

With the way I read it now, anything I try to put under catalina_home/shared/lib won't be visible to the webapps in the various catalina_base folders. Is this correct?
Yes. Look at RUNNING.txt in your Tomcat installation directory. To quote from it:

When you use this "-Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE" argument, Tomcat will calculate all relative references for files in the following directories based on the value of $CATALINA_BASE instead of $CATALINA_HOME:
* conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)
* logs - Log and output files
* shared - For classes and resources that must be shared
across all web
         applications
* webapps - Automatically loaded web applications
* work - Temporary working directories for web applications
* temp - Directory used by the JVM for temporary files
(java.io.tmpdir)
Note the inclusion of shared in the CATALINA_BASE set. It would be better if it read "For classes and resources that must be
shared across
all web applications within this Tomcat instance."

Yes, that's what I decided on re-reading it for the umpteenth time, when I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted. A bit of clarification by the doc writers might be in order.

Dave