From: Li Ma [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 12:35 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Peak load of Tomcat-powered server(s)?

Actually you can imagine the server serves a site like mySpace where people
can access their own home, blog, images, forum, etc. I know it is still not
easy to answer, but I'm not looking for an answer to my specific question.
I'm just looking for any similiar experience that can be shared and hoping I
can learn some.

Another question, how many threads do you think Tomcat can have on one
machine? And will increasing number of threads help processing more
requests? I think 100-150 per server per second is not a good number. But if
it is true, does that mean Tomcat is not suitable for large website? And
what does commercial products like WebLogic can normally do?

Well, lots of question at my end. Thanks for sharing of your idea. Any thing
will help.

Best!

Li

On 12/24/06, Leon Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The question is impossible to answer, since you don't tell us what a
> user will do :-)
> However, to give you an example, if your requests are somewhat
> "normal-web-requests" (producing html) than going for 100-150 per
> second and server should be a reasonable value.
>
> regards
> Leon
>
> P.S. Of course it depends hardly on your use-cases... for example your
> apache in front of tomcat could reduce the performance by 10% without
> giving you anything in exchange.
>
> On 12/24/06, Li Ma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I need to setup for a client to run a myspace-like site. My client kept
> > asking me how many concurrent user's I can support. I really don't know
> the
> > answer.
> >
> > We will use Apache, jk_mod, Tomcat and Oracle(clustered). We will use
> X86
> > servers with Linux.
> >
> > Can anyone share your experience and let me know the best load you have
> > achieved?
> >
> > Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas!
> >
> > --
> > Li Ma