Gormley, Josh wrote:
Does anybody have a good tutorial on how to do this with Apache sitting in
front of Tomcat?  I'd like to have a single server with multiple one-to-one
domainname-to-webapp apps running in Tomcat such that I can hot deploy one
webapp in Tomcat without affecting the other webapps.

Apache VirtualHost -- Tomcat webapp location
foo.mydomain.com   -- webapps/foo
bar.mydomain.com   -- webapps/bar
eggs.mydomain.com  -- webapps/eggs
I think it is possible to achieve this using various mod_rewrite / mod_proxy directives, e.i. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypassreverse

On the other hand, it is very easy to add another Host elements to Tomcat's server.xml file:

default entry:

<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
      unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
      xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false"/>

another vhosts:

<Host name="foo.mydomain.com" appBase="/some/path/foo"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
       xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false"/>
<Host name="bar.mydomain.com" appBase="/some/path/bar"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
       xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false"/>
<Host name="eggs.mydomain.com" appBase="/some/path/eggs"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
       xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false"/>

and deploy your apps in ROOT contexts.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>