> From: Gormley, Josh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Virtual Hosts [mostly solved]
>
>   * Not having to modify server.xml directly.  According to the Tomcat
>     docs, you shouldn't modify this file.

I think you may have misconstrued something in the docs.  There's
nothing wrong with modifying server.xml; for example, production
environments must change it and web.xml to remove development-oriented
attributes.  Certainly you should not place <Context> elements in
server.xml, since that requires a Tomcat restart to modify webapp
attributes.

>   * Tomcat's server.xml file has a host declaration for each webapp
>     and a declaration for localhost (though that is not necessary)
>         <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" />

I would remove the <Host> entry for localhost, since, as someone else
pointed out, its appBase points to a parent directory of the other
<Host>s, and this is at best bad practice and confusing, even if not
necessarily causing errors.

>   * Being able to include the manager app for each host that I define.

I don't have a problem doing this.  All I did was place a copy of
manager.xml is each conf/Catalina/[host] directory, and all apps deploy
properly under each of their hosts.  Did you change something in
manager.xml?

- Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.