On 12/30/06, Peter Coppens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Actually it just seems to be related to the fact that under heavy load the db
connection starts to take longer than the timeout.

Thats a lot. What is your timeout configured to?

Apparently, a call to request.getSession() somewhere in the middel of the
doGet processing will also trigger invalidating the session, which is kind
of a nuisance as one should then apparently constantly check whether the
session has not expired during request processing.

I assume this is Servlet spec compliant, but it does seem to make my life
rather complex.

Would there be anyone having any suggestions to deal with this.

We might need some more details on your application to give you
meaningful suggestions, but just from the hip I'd say following:

1. You make DB requests not only from tomcat which is suboptimal
anyway, but also directly from the servlet, which would mean that you
utterly need to refactor your application anyway.

2. Apparently your timeouts are way to low. On the other hand, it
can't be healthy if your requests last longer than hours (default
timeout for the session are 2 hours)

3. In case you can't change anything other, you could consider
starting a thread on the start of the request which just calls
session.get/put with dummy attributes periodically to prevent the
session from being timeouted. However this feature has to be
implemented carefully, since it can cause much harm with regard to
garbage collection if your thread instances sticks and keep references
to the session or similar.

By the way, what do you mean by "heavy load"?

Regards
Leon

Thanks,

Peter