Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been playing with the timeouts to trigger the problem. Typically I
would like to have them around 15minutes....and yes that is apparently not
sufficient for the load test I am doing.

The setup is three machines. One with  tomcat running that connects to a 2nd
one running MySQL. THe third is running jMeter (300 'users').

That said, I am baffled by the fact that some connections take >15minutes.
>From the start, I included a dbcp pool to try and optimize the db resource
usage, but I am starting to wonder whether that is not causing more problems
than it is solving. I'll try to isolate the dbcp pool code and see how that
behaves. In the end I guess it can also be the db server.

For now I am going to try to not have timeouts during doGet processing,
rather than try to deal with them.

Something I did not understand from the suggestions is

> 1. You make DB requests not only from tomcat which is suboptimal
> anyway, but also directly from the servlet, which would mean that you
> utterly need to refactor your application anyway.

I am not sure I understand the difference "from tomcat" versus "from the
servlet"

Again, all suggestions warmly welcomed!

Peter