> From: Leon Rosenberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> yes, but you can't run them both at the same time.

Can we distinguish *installation* and *instance*?  Leon, you're reading
'instance' and assuming 'installation'; Chris, you're reading
'installation' and (sometimes implicitly) assuming 'instance'.

On this machine I have one Tomcat 5.0 *installation* in
c:\java\tomcat50, but multiple *instances* in c:\cattery\xxx,
c:\cattery\yyy (names changed to protect the projects concerned).  The
instances each have their own conf, logs, temp, webapps and work
directories, plus a convenience script to start each one.  The
installation contains the rest.  With this approach I can run multiple
instances at one time, each on their own ports, from one installation.

                - Peter