Could you explain to us, why you want to get rid of the trailing slash ?

>Could anyone please expand a little more on what's meant by the two
>statements below?

>>Len Popp wrote:
>>
>> It doesn't matter if it's done by URLRewriteFilter or some other
>> method because it's the browser that interprets the relative URLs, not
>> the server.

URLRewriteFilter is an application that allows you to rewrite URLs, that means,
for example if you have a URL like
http://localhost:8080/page.jsp?param1=499&param2=333  , with URL rewriting
you can represent it anyway you want with a regular expession pattern
that means you can represent it like this

http://localhost:8080/page/499/333/  , or any other pattern.

But what Len is saying (and I verified that he's right), is that URL Rewriting
will not help in eliminating the trailing slash because it's the browser that
does the URL translation.

I tried URL rewriting with this pattern to test your case:
    <rule>
        <note>Testing trailing slash.</note>
        <from>(.*)/</from>
    </rule>

When I tried http://localhost:8080   , instead of http://localhost:8080/  it
didn't work, just showed a blank screen.

I had to delete the URL rewriting rule, only after that it worked.