The javax.management.Timer class was rather more complex than I liked for the simple stuff I needed, but while digging into it, I discovered the java.util.Timer class, which works great and is easy to implement, so thanks for putting me on the Timer track!

Dave

David Kerber wrote:

Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:

David Kerber wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. One question about this technique: can I run the directory check loop directly in the contextInitialized event of the Listener, or is it mandatory to create a new thread?

You can't make an infinite (almost) loop during processing an event. Using threads is discouraged ;-)

I'd suggest you to use javax.management.timer.Timer class instead. You will not start another thread yourself, you will be notified at specified intervals to check the directory, etc. Another option is to use quartz to schedule directory checking events.

That certainly sounds like a cleaner solution than a sleep loop.

Dave