JNeuhoff wrote:
I have completed some stresstests (with up to 500 concurrent users) on Apache
2.0.59, mod_jk 2.1.20, Tomcat 5.5.17, using the following
workers.properties:

and it seems to be coping just fine now under the stressload. I think I'll
use this setup on our live server now. Thanks a lot for your help.

Good to know.

Just one final question:

Despite my connection_pool_timeout=600 and connection_pool_minsize=10, one
of the Apache2.exe processes remains at 70MB memory usage, even after the
connection pool has gone down to 10 connections (verified by a netstat
call). The good news is, the memory doesn't seem grow any further though.
Still, keeping the 70MB for just the minimum 10 connections is a lot of
cache memory. Maybe the connection pool releases timed out connections as
expected, but doesn't flush them?

It closes the connections, but it doesn't release all objects related to the corresponding cache slot. Somehow I have the feeling, that it's not really worth optimizing this, because 70MB for a web server doesn't sound that much relative to hardware sizes of the last years. I assume you are not moving into the embedded world :)

I've got no idea, how biig the process would be, if you would send your requests just once to make the basic initializations happen. Will it be much smaller than 70MB?

 > BTW.: The mod_jk 1.1.20, downloaded from
http://mirrors.dedipower.com/ftp.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/win32/jk-1.2.20/mod_jk-apache-2.0.58.so
identifies itself as mod_jk/1.2.19, not as mod_jk/1.2.20 !

I didn't test (I'm rarely on Win), but I had a look at the binary:

- it's the same as on the origin server (downloaded a minute ago)
- it has 1.2.20 as a version string inside and no 1.2.19
- it's md5 checksum is:

MD5 (mod_jk-apache-2.0.58.so) = e0bbc07e656c17fa3bd4fd4ea05f457a

You should check, if this really is the file you are actually using.

Maybe I didn't understand correctly, what your idea of "identifiying" is.

Regards

J.Neuhoff