Hi Chris,

i followed your suggestion and removed the <resource-ref> from web.xml and the
good news is, that
hibernate using the datasource is still working, but ...

i still run into the same error

83743 [http-8080-Processor25] ERROR
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/jmangos]  -
Exception performing authentication
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:769)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:152)
        at
org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm.open(DataSourceRealm.java:401)
        at
org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm.authenticate(DataSourceRealm.java:282)

On the tomcat jndi-datasource-example-howto is written:

"In order to get Realms to work, the realm must refer to the datasource as
defined in the <GlobalNamingResources> or <Context> section, not a datasource
as renamed using <ResourceLink>."

That`s what i have, a Realm and a Datasource defined in the same <Context>
section, but it`s not working. If i define the datasource in
<GlobalNamingResources> and <ResourceLink> the datasource to my <Context>, then
it is working, but that should not work, due to the
jndi-datasource-example-howto.

Could this be a bug in Tomcat 5.5.20? At Marc i found this error a couple of
times, but not a real solution.

Regards Oliver