I haven't tried it on such an old version of tomcat, but I would think
jsvc from the commons-daemon project would work here.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/daemon

It essentially allows you to start tomcat as a privileged user long
enough to grab the port and then drop back to a low privilege user for
general running.

--David