> From: Wayne Bragg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: DWR using WAN vs LAN
>
> I installed DWR and it's example chat-demo application works
> fine as long as I access it from LAN using
> http://localhost:8080/chat-demo/. But if I access it from LAN
> http://computer-name/chat-demo/ or WAN
> http://wan-ip/chat-demo/. I get a "Chat is not defined" and
> "DWRUtil is not defined".

What happens if you try http://wan-ip:8080/chat-demo?  Without the port
number, you're sending the URL to something other than Tomcat that's
listening on port 80.

> Also, where are these files?

They're part of the app, nothing to do with Tomcat itself.

> My Configuration:
>
> Windows XP Pro
> devside.net Web[Developer] Server Suite 1.94
> standard installation
> ASP,MYSQL,PHP (not cgi) and Tomcat5
>
> All are working correctly.

If that were really true, would you be asking questions here?

> A couple of things worth noting. I'm pretty sure my (cable)
> access provider is blocking 80 so I am forwarding ext. 7075
> to int. 80 with Apache still running on 80.

What do you mean by "ext." and "int."?  Are you inventing synonyms for
"port"?  By "Apache" (an open-source software organization), do you mean
httpd or Tomcat (both are products of said organization)?  Is it your
router doing the forwarding?  If so, external users will need to append
:7075 to the host name or IP address to get requests delivered to
whatever is listening on port 80.

> What is the difference between http://localhost/my-page and
> http://localhost:8080/my-page ?

Not to belabor the obvious, but the difference is the port number.  The
former would be sent to port 80 (the default HTTP port), and the latter
to 8080, since it's explicitly requested.

> Why or how is it one uses Apache and the other appears to be
> recognized by Tomcat?

If you mean httpd when you say "Apache", that's the default
configuration for each - httpd listens on 80, Tomcat on 8080.  You're
free to change that to anything you want.

> Can you not run Tomcat apps from the WAN?

Of course you can.  Many sites use Tomcat in all sorts of environments.

> I haven't been able to find any docs that explain this and
> all examples I see for Tomcat use internal
> http://localhost:8080 to run jsp.
> What am I missing?

Some basic education on TCP/IP and a little history, I expect.  For many
years, Tomcat was not terribly efficient at delivering static content,
so it was often front-ended with httpd, listening on port 80.  The httpd
server would be configured to forward servlet and .jsp requests to
Tomcat on port 8080, and handle the rest itself.  These days, Tomcat is
quite adequate for handling static content, and httpd merely gets in the
way (unless you want to do other things with it, such as load-balancing
or PHP).  To run a stand-alone Tomcat, people normally set it up to
listen on port 80, thereby avoiding the need for users to explicitly
enter a port number in each URL.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.