> From: Rashmi Rubdi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: tomcat 5.5
>
> "...For instance, running gc might take extremely long time.
> In such case, it is advisable to reduce the heap size...."

Urban myth, possibly true in the very early days of Java, when GC was
not terribly sophisticated.

> "...Until the memory size used for the JVM heap is lower than
> the specified limit, the garbage collector does not perform
> serious attempts to release memory...."

The above sentence, as written, is obviously incorrect.  Perhaps "while"
was meant, rather than "until".  The crux of the matter is the meaning
of "serious attempts".  HotSpot JVMs try to avoid a full GC if at all
possible, since it's a rather expensive thing to do.  Instead, small GCs
are run on the Eden space, which for most applications, frees up 60% -
90% of the dead space.  I would categorize these as serious, but perhaps
not everyone would.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.